This recipe is a delicious tomato pie from scratch – homemade pastry dough, topped with organic heirloom tomatoes, apple wood smoked bacon, fresh rosemary and Spanish blue cheese.
Author: Chef Keith Snow
Recipe type: Appetizer
- 1 recipe Pate Brisee (search site)
- 2 large heirlooms tomatoes, sliced (use clean towel to remove excess liquid)
- ½ cup cooked apple wood smoked bacon, in large pieces
- 3 tbs Parmesan cheese, grated
- 2-3 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbs fresh rosemary
- 2 tbs blue cheese, frozen
- kosher salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
- Roll out dough and form into the tart pan that has been greased, dock the dough with a fork. Blind bake it as per video for 10-15 minutes in a preheated 350 degree oven until just starting to get golden brown.
- Lay tomatoes in dough, add chopped rosemary, top with bacon, season with salt and pepper.
- Shave your blue cheese on then add the Parmesan cheese.
- Bake for roughly 25 minutes in the same 350 degree oven.
Chef's Note: This tomato pie is the perfect way to use abundant beef steak or heirloom tomatoes. Tomato pie is a elegant appetizer that is perfect for summer picnics.