Empanadas are a delicious stuffed Latin-style pastry. This empanada is made with chorizo and black beans. This is a great recipe for a fabulous historical food product. Empanadas have been made for centuries.
Created By: Chef Keith Snow
1 package Empanada wraps
2 six inch size Chorizo Sausages (casings removed)
1/4 cup red Onion, diced
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
1 can (15 oz) organic Black Beans, drained & rinsed
2 tbs olive oil
1. In a saute pan, add oil, begin rendering Chorizo. Cook for 10 minutes stirring often to fully cook sausage. If Chorizo was fully cooked in package, reduce cooking time to 5 minutes.
2. Add in red onion, cilantro, and black beans. Cook 2 minutes.
3. Turn off heat and mash mixture together forming the filling for the Empanadas.
4. Lay out an Empanada wrap and add a heaping tablespoon of the filling (careful not too over stuff) and press down on filling slightly. Fold the wrap over in half to make a football shape. Press around edges with your fingers to seal, and then use the tines of a fork to crimp the edges.
5. Cook in a dry, nonstick skillet until slightly brown and crispy, should take a few minute per side.
6. Top with Cumin & Cilantro Crema (see video).